Application Deadline: 30 Jun 2019
Course Language: English
The International Triathlon Union (ITU) and the Korean Triathlon Federation (KTF) are pleased to announce that we are now inviting applications for the third edition of the KTF-ITU Triathlon Coaching Education Programme to be held in Incheon, Korea from 29th October to 9th November 2019. The application is open for ODA Recipient Countries as it is defined by the United Nations (UN). The project is exclusive for ODA recipient nations, for the full list of the eligible NFs please see the attached document. The programme has been supported and fully financed by the Korean Sport & Olympic Committee.
The aim of the project is to provide opportunity for developing nations to access coaching education in triathlon and get qualified by ITU as triathlon coaches at two levels: ITU Triathlon Level 1 Coach and ITU Triathlon Level 2 Coach. There are about hundred National Federations across five continents are eligible to benefit from the programme led by accredited ITU Coaching Facilitators.
In the past two years 123 coaches from 45 National Federations from all five continents were awarded by ITU Triathlon Coach Certification after their successful assessment.
The applications have to be submitted to ITU Development by the National Federations and all candidates must meet the requirements as defined in the Level 1 Triathlon Coach - Curriculum Document. The programme gives ITU Level 1 Triathlon Coach qualification to the candidates who are successfully completing the course.
To apply, respective National Federation will need to download an application form and then submit a completed version or submit online application through using the link below. All eligible National Federations can apply with maximum of two (2) female and two (2) male candidates with indication of their priority order in the application form. Please note the ITU does not accept any individual application. All nominations must go through the member National Federations.
Airfare to/from Korea, local transportation and accommodation with full board will be covered for the participants. Please note the National Federation must provide their candidates with travel and health insurance for the whole period of the respective course. It will be strictly monitored in case of successful selection.
The course language is English, although ITU Facilitators can support the participants in various languages. The courses are supported by the ITU Education Hub (https://education.triathlon.org) that requires internet/computer or mobile device access from the participants in order to complete the course.
2018 Incheon KTF-ITU Level 1 Coaches Course
Number of courses: 2
Maximum number of participants: 18 / each course
Date: 4th-8th November (Monday-Friday)
Arrival: 2nd November (Saturday) / Departure: 9th November (Saturday)
Application deadline: 30th June 2019
About the ITU Coaches Level 1 Education
This qualification is an introduction to coaching triathlon. It has been specifically designed to provide candidates with the principles and practices of safe and ethical coaching of triathlon sessions to youth, junior and adult recreational participant groups, using the activities provided through this course programme, equipping coaches with the necessary skills and resources to start coaching straight away.
At Level 1 the focus is on three key aspects:
• WHAT to coach (knowledge and skills);
• HOW to coach these concepts to best enable athletes to develop;
• WHO is being coached, understanding the athlete to enable better coaching to take place.
ITU Level 1 coaches will be able to plan, deliver, review basic triathlon sessions, ideally under supervision of more qualified coaches to guide their coaching practice and development.
Each course is limited to:
• maximum of 18 participants;
• minimum of 6 participants, which may reduce number of facilitators;
• host NF to have maximum of 50% of places on course in case of regional course – this is a maximum, and it may not be as a balance of needs across multiple federations is required,
• at least 25 % of the participants being female, due to ITU equal opportunities objectives. If fewer females apply, the total number of participants will be reduced to maintain the minimum ratio;
• a participant can be replaced not later than two weeks prior to the first day of the onsite course.
Individuals who display the following attributes:
• Desire and aptitude for coaching, with a passion for helping and supporting others;
• Willingness and open-mindedness to learn new skills;
• Ability to participate in the course fully and complete all required assessment;
• Commitment to fulfilling the roles and responsibilities expected of an ITU Level 1 Triathlon Coach;
• Potential to make a positive impact on Triathlon Coaching and Development in their region;
• Agree to abide by the ITU coaches Code of Ethics.
Coaches should be able to demonstrate the following in their application:
• Active Coach, already be an active coach or have access to start coaching immediately following the course;
• Recommendation by local NF and commitment to develop coaching skills;
• Be at least 18 years of age at the start of the course programme;
• Demonstrate a high level of spoken and written skills in the language the course will be delivered in; Check with Regional Development Coordinator which language will be used, ITU courses are predominately in English, Spanish or French, possibly with a translator present;
• Attend 100% of the course;
• Ability to complete all online tasks, will require access to a computer and internet access to the ITU Education Hub before, during and after the face to face element of the course;
• It is strongly recommended that candidates have appropriate insurance cover before undertaking any independent coaching practice;
• Completion of application form.
The application process and selection should be completed a minimum of six weeks prior to the course commencing to allow coaches to familiarise themselves with content.
Once accepted onto the course, learners will:
• be issued with an ITU Education Hub password and username;
• complete pre-course induction material, which explains requirements to complete the course; • sent a welcome message from Facilitators, introducing themselves and encouraging engagement with the course;
• be required to complete online pre-course tasks and assignments within two weeks of being entered onto the education hub system. Failure to do this, may result in the participant being removed from the course.
For more information on ITU Coaches Education please visit the following pages
Coach Education Objectives, Strategy, Pathway https://www.triathlon.org/development/coach/coach_education_objectives_strategy_pathway
Coach Development Pathway - Overview of Courses
Level 1 Triathlon Coach - Curriculum Document & Schedule
Certification Revalidation of Coaches Scheme (CRoC)
Coach Education Documents