#WTSGoldCoast Grand Final by the Numbers18 Sep, 2018
2018 Paratriathlon World Champions crowned at WTS Gold Coast14 Sep, 2018
World’s top Paratriathletes to begin quest for Grand Final gold12 Sep, 2018
ITU announces World Cup, Mixed Relay Series and Paratriathlon calendars for 201912 Sep, 2018
Your video is loading. If the video fails to load please upgrade your Flash player
Paratriathlon Explained: Rio 2016
ITU has committed to support the development of paratriathlon for over 15 years. There are currently five sport classes for athletes with an impairment to compete in over the sprint paratriathlon distance of 750m swim, 20km bike (hand bike/tandem), 5km run (racing wheelchair) at all ITU Paratriathlon sanctioned events each year.
Paratriathlon has been accepted for inclusion for the IPC’s 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Below are 10 reasons why Paratriathlon fits within the Paralympic movement:
- Paratriathlon offers a unique and inclusive global opportunity for athletes with the recognized types of impairments to perform at elite levels in a modern, exciting and dynamic sport.
- It is close to the environment, universally attractive (www.facebook.com/worldtriathlon ) and understandable to spectators and media alike.
- Paratriathlon is accessible, equitable, viable, sustainable and well balanced in every way imaginable, incorporating, in its subdisciplines, three of the most prolific and recognisable medal sports in the history of the Paralympic Games.
- The International Triathlon Union has, since inauguration, actively demonstrated its readiness to develop and evolve, and has encouraged athletes to achieve much more than just their individual sporting goals, whatever they may be.
- Triathlon is a rare sport in which able-bodied athletes compete, side-by-side, with disabled athletes at both the national and international levels.
- While paratriathlon has the potential to be the fastest growing sport in the Paralympic Movement, in that process we are accomplishing something that goes well beyond the expansion of Para-sport: we are helping to create inspirational role models for the world.
- Ethical governance, fair play and mutual respect belong to the ethos of our organisation.
- ITU has long upheld the principles of equality of opportunity, recognition and reward to create uplifting, motivational and life changing experiences for all who compete in our sport.
- The triathlon world is inspired by IPC’s invitation to live and breathe all of the Paralympic Programme Guiding Principles.
- ITU therefore aspires, on behalf of our charismatic international paratriathletes of today and tomorrow, to be selected as a programme sport in the Paralympic Games.
The goals of the ITU Paratriathlon Committee are:
- To oversee the development of paratriathlon within the triathlon community by growing participation at all levels, building a pathway to, developing, elite performance, evolving events and building profile.
- To upholding ethical principles and fair play at all times including moving towards evidence based assessment of Classification.
- To work with the IPC in preparation for the debut of Paratriathlon in the Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, and to foster the growth of Paratriathlon as it becomes an integral and contributing part of the Paralympic movement.
Japan showed anew why it is considered Asia"s triathlon power house by winning six of the eight classes...Aug 13, 2018
Just five months after competing at the 2018 Paralympic Winter Games, Japan’s Keiichi Sato has switched to...Aug 09, 2018
What an awesome surprise to see that we have reached over 200,000 followers on our @worldtriathlon Instagram...Aug 08, 2018
The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) and the International Triathlon Union (ITU) on Monday (6 August)...Aug 06, 2018
On a hot afternoon in Edmonton, Canadian Stefan Daniel and fellow compatriots Lauren Babineau and Jessica...Jul 27, 2018
The Canadian town of Edmonton plays host this Friday to the third leg of the World Paratriathlon Series, with...Jul 26, 2018
Europe’s top Paratriathletes will go head-to-head for continental titles, as the European Championships get...Jul 19, 2018
When it comes to harnessing fierce determination, worldly passion for multisport with the desire to race,...Jul 04, 2018
2017 ITU Paratriathlon World Championships15 Sep, 2017
ITU World Paratriathlon Series Yokohama 201713 May, 2017
2017 Gold Coast ITU World Paratriathlon Series08 Apr, 2017
ITU Rotterdam Grand Final 2017 Promo23 Dec, 2016