2020 World Triathlon Champions to be crowned at WTS Hamburg25 Aug, 2020
Tokyo 2020 announces the Paralympic competition schedule04 Aug, 2020
PTWC World Champion Lauren Parker on staying positive… and fiercely competitive19 Jun, 2020
In at the not-so-deep-end of lockdown with Claire Cashmore06 May, 2020
Paratriathlon Explained: Rio 2016
ITU has committed to support the development of paratriathlon for over 15 years. There are currently five sport classes for athletes with an impairment to compete in over the sprint paratriathlon distance of 750m swim, 20km bike (hand bike/tandem), 5km run (racing wheelchair) at all ITU Paratriathlon sanctioned events each year.
Paratriathlon has been accepted for inclusion for the IPC’s 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. Below are 10 reasons why Paratriathlon fits within the Paralympic movement:
- Paratriathlon offers a unique and inclusive global opportunity for athletes with the recognized types of impairments to perform at elite levels in a modern, exciting and dynamic sport.
- It is close to the environment, universally attractive (www.facebook.com/worldtriathlon ) and understandable to spectators and media alike.
- Paratriathlon is accessible, equitable, viable, sustainable and well balanced in every way imaginable, incorporating, in its subdisciplines, three of the most prolific and recognisable medal sports in the history of the Paralympic Games.
- The International Triathlon Union has, since inauguration, actively demonstrated its readiness to develop and evolve, and has encouraged athletes to achieve much more than just their individual sporting goals, whatever they may be.
- Triathlon is a rare sport in which able-bodied athletes compete, side-by-side, with disabled athletes at both the national and international levels.
- While paratriathlon has the potential to be the fastest growing sport in the Paralympic Movement, in that process we are accomplishing something that goes well beyond the expansion of Para-sport: we are helping to create inspirational role models for the world.
- Ethical governance, fair play and mutual respect belong to the ethos of our organisation.
- ITU has long upheld the principles of equality of opportunity, recognition and reward to create uplifting, motivational and life changing experiences for all who compete in our sport.
- The triathlon world is inspired by IPC’s invitation to live and breathe all of the Paralympic Programme Guiding Principles.
- ITU therefore aspires, on behalf of our charismatic international paratriathletes of today and tomorrow, to be selected as a programme sport in the Paralympic Games.
The goals of the ITU Paratriathlon Committee are:
- To oversee the development of paratriathlon within the triathlon community by growing participation at all levels, building a pathway to, developing, elite performance, evolving events and building profile.
- To upholding ethical principles and fair play at all times including moving towards evidence based assessment of Classification.
- To work with the IPC in preparation for the debut of Paratriathlon in the Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro in 2016, and to foster the growth of Paratriathlon as it becomes an integral and contributing part of the Paralympic movement.
Dialling in from just outside Amsterdam, where he has enough space to train outdoors as current Dutch...Apr 29, 2020
The World Triathlon Executive Board, met via teleconference this Friday morning, has decided to extend the...Apr 03, 2020
On March 26, 2020, the Government of Canada issued an order limiting the entry of most foreign travelers into...Mar 27, 2020
Due to the current international travel restrictions recently announced by the U.S. government and the Centers...Mar 12, 2020
The International Triathlon Union, in consultation with the Italian Federation, the Milan 2020 organising...Mar 11, 2020
The 2020 ITU World Paratriathlon Series got underway in Devonport, Australia, as 70 paratriathletes from 26...Feb 29, 2020
The International Triathlon Union, in consultation with the Abu Dhabi Sports Council, has taken the decision...Feb 29, 2020
Devonport, Australia, will raise the curtain on the 2020 World Paratriathlon Series (WPS), after successfully...Feb 27, 2020
USA Triathlon, with the support of the International Triathlon Union and the United States Olympic &...Feb 13, 2020
The wait is nearly over, the hard work is just beginning. In the Paralympic year, the 2020 ITU Paratriathlon...Feb 13, 2020
- No events found
02 - 04 Oct, 2020Montreal, Canada • Start Lists
Best of Paratriathlon: 2019 season review09 Jan, 2020
Tokyo Paratriathlon World Cup Highlights20 Aug, 2019
World Paratriathlon Series in Yokohama20 May, 2019