Application Deadline: 01 May 2023
Course Language: English
The course is fully funded by the Triathlon Association of Hong Kong China, and are not open for international participation.
Key timeline of the course
Deadline of application 1 May
Pre-course self-study: 8 May - 5 June (4wks)
On-course interactive phase: 5 June - 9 June
Post-course assessment phase: 9 June - 7 July (4wks)
About the World Triathlon Coaches Level 2 Education
The Level 2 course is the second coaching qualification award offered by World Triathlon and is aimed at people with some experience of coaching (formally or informally) and of triathlon – building on existing coaching experience in Level 1. This allows coaches to enhance their capabilities by giving them sufficient breadth of knowledge, which provides a scaffold to develop their future coaching knowledge and experience. The whole process is supported by an appropriate online reference resource to guide this development.
At Level 2 the focus is on:
• Developing and delivering more advanced triathlon coaching practices, including individualised support.
• Effective planning, delivery and evaluation of a series of triathlon coaching sessions or a programme for a group or an individual.
• Understanding the processes and principles of coaching triathlon activities to groups of children and/or adults through the application of training science.
• This certificate focuses on producing a competent club coach who can promote the benefits of participating in triathlon, and appropriate skill acquisition through quality coaching of participants from grass roots level upwards.
World Triathlon Level 2 coaches will have a broad knowledge and can independently plan, deliver, review more complex and specific sessions. They may work with any participation group, Paratriathlon, children through to adults, participation through to performance. Coaches at this level may work independently or within a team structure or under supervision depending upon their own role and the context within which they coach.
At least 20 % of the participants shall be female, according to World Triathlon equal opportunities objectives. If fewer females apply, the total number of participants will be reduced to maintain the minimum ratio.
The Level 2 course is targeted at NFs and specifically individual coaches with the potential to benefit the growth of triathlon within their region. The World Triathlon’s intention is to provide development opportunities to those who are unable to access appropriate coach development opportunities elsewhere at the current time. Priority will be given to individuals who display the following attributes:
• Desire and aptitude for coaching, with a passion for helping and supporting others, potentially across a range of contexts e.g. Local Clubs, Age-Group, Child Development, Schools, Performance (Youth, U23, Elite);
• Willingness and open-mindedness to learn new skills;
• Ability to participate in the course fully and complete all required assessments;
• Commitment to fulfilling the roles and responsibilities expected of a World Triathlon Level 2 Triathlon Coach;
• Potential to make a positive impact on Triathlon Coaching and Development in their region;
• Agree to abide by the World Triathlon coaches Code of Ethics.
Coaches should be able to demonstrate the following in their application:
• Active Triathlon Coach, already be an active coach for minimum of three years, with experience of coaching Triathletes;
• Completion of World Triathlon Level 1 course, with positive recommendation from Level 1 course facilitators;
• The Level 1 World Triathlon course should have been completed at two years prior to starting the level 2 course;
• Recommendation by local NF and commitment to develop coaching skills;
• Be at least 18 years of age at the start of the course programme;
• Demonstrate a high level of spoken and written skills in the language the course will be delivered in;
• It is strongly recommended that candidates have appropriate insurance cover before undertaking any independent coaching practice;
• Completion of application form and willingness to take part in interview (Skype call).
Once accepted onto the course, learners will:
• be issued with a World Triathlon Education Hub password and username;
• complete pre-course induction material, which explains requirements to complete the course; • sent a welcome message from Facilitators, introducing themselves and encouraging engagement with the course;
• be required to complete online pre-course tasks and assignments within two weeks of being entered onto the education hub system. Failure to do this, may result in the participant being removed from the course.
For more information on World Triathlon Coaches Education, please visit the following pages:
Coach Education Objectives, Strategy, Pathway https://www.triathlon.org/development/coach/coach_education_objectives_strategy_pathway
Level 2 Triathlon Coach - Curriculum Document & Schedule
Coach Education Documents