Simon Whitfield and Lauren Groves won the Brampton ITU Triathlon Pan American Cup and the Canadian National Championships.
In the women’s event Lauren Groves and Kathy Tremblay exited off a bike group of eight to start the 3 lap 10km run.
Groves was able to pull away from Quebec’s Kathy Tremblay over the first 3km of the run and never looked back.
Two time National Champion Samantha McGlone was not able to make up the time she lost in the swim and the lead group of women rode very well throughout the six lap 40km bike course to stay ahead of McGlone.
Collectively the trio got off the bike 2 minutes up on the 2000 Olympic Champion Simon Whitfield and Commonwealth Games athletes Brent McMahon and Paul Tichelaar and the 23 and under champion Kyle Jones.
After a 24 hour air flight, Atkinson started to fail on the run and Jenkins was able to stay in front through the half-way mark on the 10km run.
Whitfield’s running ability was too much for the 21 year old Hamilton athlete, and Whitfield put in a 30 minute 17 second incredible 10km run to win his record 6th consecutive National Title.
Victoria’s Brent McMahon got up after a crash and was able to finish third, with his Pan American teammate Paul Tichelaar in 4th.
Caledon’s Sean Bechtel had the race of his life with a fifth place finish in the 2006 National Championship
HSBC BRAMPTON ITU PAN AMERICAN TRIATHLON RESULTS: Women
1. Lauren Groves (CAN) 2:04:16
2. Kathy Tremblay (CAN) 2:05:10
3. Marybeth Elllis (USA) 2:06:57
4. Carolyn Murray (CAN) 2:07:30
5. Lisa Mensink (CAN) 2:07:48
6. Alicia Kaye (CAN) 2:08:00
7. Gillian Kornell (CAN) 2:08:08
8. Samantha McGlone (CAN) 2:08:12
9. Michelle Lindsey (USA) 2:08:18
10. Amanda Stevens (USA) 2:09:45
HSBC ITU BRAMPTON PAN AMERICAN TRIATHLON RESULTS: Men
1. Simon Whitfield (CAN) 1:51:11
2. Colin Jenkins (CAN) 1:51:36
3. Brent McMahon (CAN) 1:51:46
4. Paul Tichelaar (CAN) 1:52:20
5. Sean Bechtel (CAN) 1:53:37
6. Kyle Jones (CAN) 1:54:01
7. Courtney Atkinson (AUS) 1:54:23
8. James Loaring (CAN) 1:54:52
9. Julien Periard (CAN) 1:55:18
10 .Adrian Cominotto (AUS) 1:56:01