Goal of project
The primary objective of this project is to provide support, resources, and expertise to athletes from emerging/developing National Federations (NF Group* 2, 3B, 3A) with the potential to compete at World Triathlon Cup level and to qualify for the Tokyo Olympic Games. World Triathlon Development is also looking after young talents facilitating their athlete career from junior to elite and aiming at the 2024 Paris Olympic Games and beyond.
(*Note: for NF Groups please visit National Federation Survey and NF Survey Report 2019.)
• Emerging/Developing National Federations (NF Group 2, 3B, 3A) are invited to submit applications.
• Applications for athletes with the potential to qualify and compete at Tokyo Olympic Games and who have already proven themselves at the World Triathlon Elite, U23, Junior World Championship, World Cup or Continental Championships/Cup level will be favoured.
• Two (2) World Triathlon Cup events have been named as the ASICS World Triathlon Team events in 2021 prior to the Olympic Qualification Period cut-off date (14 June 2021).
• At each of these events, coaching and physiotherapy support will be on hand for the athletes selected.
• The group will be accommodated as a ‘team’ and supported as such pre, during and post-event.
• Gender equality and geographic distribution will be considered in the selection for each project.
• Additional to the application process, World Triathlon Development may invite athletes for each project in agreement with their respective National Federation.
• To maximise female participation and support, World Triathlon Development may invite potential female athletes fighting for the “New Flag” position of their respective continent in the Olympic Qualification on the way to Tokyo. For this reason, World Triathlon Development/Selection Panel may consider female athletes with an exemption.
The target group will be athletes from emerging/developing National Federations (NF Group 2, 3B, 3A) who have already shown a high level of competence in World Triathlon Cup and/or Continental Cup events and are looking to qualify for Tokyo 2020 and beyond but need support to do so. Please note applicant athletes must be born in 1990 or later.
• Athletes must have been born in 1990 or later.
• Athletes must have at least two results (finishing in the top 66%) from Continental Cup events in the past 18 months.
• Athletes must be registered and in good standing with their National Federations and have shown the ability to race at a high level.
• The athletes nominated should be committed to competing in the long term and have the Olympic Games as an ultimate objective.
• While there will be a maximum of ten (10) slots available at each event, athletes will be selected at the discretion of World Triathlon Development and in some cases, not all the slots or more slots will be filled.
• Athletes from the continent where the WC is taking place are favoured.
• Athletes should be connected with the Continental Development Projects too.
• Injured or ill athletes are not accepted for the project. Illness or injury of a selected athlete must be reported immediately to World Triathlon Development.
Applications must be submitted in writing to World Triathlon Development, and each applicant must also be entered by their National Federation for the respective World Triathlon Cup event with World Triathlon via the online entry method by the closing date for entry of the specific event they are applying for. If the National Federation fails to register the applicant on time, World Triathlon Development will not consider the application.
A National Federation may nominate no more than two (2) male and two (2) female athletes. If more than one is nominated per gender, the nominations have to be in preference order (1st / 2nd).
PLEASE NOTE: All applications MUST be submitted by the applicant’s respective National Federation. The National Federation must be in good standing with World Triathlon and have submitted the annual World Triathlon National Federation Survey.
Selected World Cups
2021 World Triathlon Cup Lisbon (Portugal)
Date: 22-23 May 2021
Application deadline: 9 April 2021 - CLOSED
2021 World Triathlon Cup Huatulco (Mexico)
Date: 12-13 June 2021
Application deadline: 1 May 2021
A Panel composed of World Triathlon Sport Department, Development and project Head Coaches will decide on the selected athletes based on the project description (outline and qualification criteria) for the project within one (1) week of the application deadline, and all applicant NFs with selected athletes will be informed accordingly.
All athletes selected will be funded as follows:
1. Hotel accommodation (on a shared basis) for a maximum of 5 nights
2. Meals – 3 per day (or a meal stipend)
3. Travel stipend*
4. Coaching, physiotherapy and bike mechanic support
*PLEASE NOTE: A travel stipend between 250 USD and 750 USD will be provided to each ASICS World Triathlon Team member per event. Please note World Triathlon is covering a maximum of 60% of the full flight fare, but not more than 750 USD per ASICS World Triathlon Team Member per project.
The athletes selected will be tracked over the year to determine their progress, and feedback sheets/reports will be completed on the World Triathlon Education Hub (https://education.triathlon.org) by the members and the head coach of the respective project after each event.
Please complete the relevant application form online on or before due dates. Please download the form from here.
Post Tokyo Olympic Games
In June 2021, World Triathlon Development will announce further details about available ASICS World Triathlon Team projects scheduled after the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
For more information on the ASICS World Triathlon Team project, please contact Zita Csovelyak, Head of National Federation Services & Development, at firstname.lastname@example.org.