Goal of project
The primary objective of this project is to provide support, resources and expertise to athletes from emerging/developing National Federations (NF Group 1, 2, 3) with the potential to compete at World Cup level and to qualify for the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. At the same time increase the number of coaches from emerging/developing National Federations (NF Group 1, 2, 3) gaining experience in the preparation and support of athletes competing at World Cup level. ITU Development is also looking after young talents facilitating their athlete career from junior to elite with aiming the 2024 Paris Olympic Games and beyond.
• Emerging/Developing National Federations (NF Group 1, 2, 3) are invited to submit applications.
• Applications for athletes with the potential to qualify and compete at Tokyo 2020 OG that have already proven themselves at an ITU Elite, U23, Junior World Championship, World Cup or Continental Championships/Cup level will be favored.
• Three (3) World Cup events have been named as the ASICS World Triathlon Team events in 2020 prior to the Cut-Off Date (11 May 2020) of the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games Qualification Period.
• At each of these events a coaching and physiotherapy support will be on hand for the athletes selected.
• The group will be accommodated as a ‘team’ and supported as such pre, during and post event.
• Gender Equality and Geographic Distribution will be considered in the selection for each project.
• Additional to the application process ITU Development may invite athletes for each project in agreement with the respective National Federation.
• To maximize female participation and support, ITU Development may invite potential female athletes fighting for the “New Flag” position of their respective continent in the Olympic Qualification on the way to Tokyo 2020. For this particular reason ITU Development/Selection Panel may consider female athletes with an exemption.
The target group will be athletes from emerging/developing National Federations who have already shown a high level of competence in World Cup and/or Continental Cup events and are looking to qualify for Tokyo 2020 and beyond but need support in order to do so. Please note: applicant athletes must be born in 1990 or later.
• Athletes must born in 1990 or later.
• Athletes must have at least two results (finishing in the first 66%) from Continental Cup events finishing in the past 12 months.
• Athletes must be registered and in good standing with their National Federations and have shown the ability to race at a high level.
• The athletes nominated should be committed to competing in the long term and have the Olympic Games as an ultimate objective.
• While there will be maximum of ten (10) slots available at each event, athletes will be selected at the discretion of the ITU Development and in some cases not all the slots or more slots will be filled.
• Athletes from the continent where the WC is taking place are in favour.
• Athletes should be connected with the Continental Development Projects too.
• Injured or ill athletes are not accepted for the project. It has to be reported immediately to ITU Development in case of selected athlete after the selection.
• Coaching support: the coach applicant should belong to a developing nation (NF Group 1, 2, 3) and his/her athlete should be selected for the ASICS World Triathlon Team. Only one (1) coach spot will be available for each project.
Applications must be submitted in writing to ITU Development and each applicant must also be entered by their National Federation for the respective World Cup event with ITU via the online entry method by the closing date for entry for the specific event they are applying for. If the National Federation misses to register their applicant athlete(s) on time, ITU Development will not consider the application.
A National Federation may nominate no more than two (2) male and two (2) female athletes. If more than one nominated by gender, the list of nomination has to be in preference order.
Selected World Cups
2020 Brasilia ITU Triathlon World Cup (Brazil) Distance: Standard Race Date:3 April 2020 Application Deadline: 17 February 2020
2020 Valencia ITU Triathlon World Cup (Spain) Distance: Standard Race Date: 2 May 2020 Application Deadline: 23 March 2020
2020 Chengdu ITU Triathlon World Cup (China) Distance: Sprint Race Date: 10 May 2020 Application Deadline: 30 March 2020
A Panel composed by ITU Sport Department, Development and project Head Coaches will decide on the selected athletes based on the project description (outline and qualification criteria) for the project within 1 week after the application deadline and all applicant NFs with selected athlete will be informed accordingly.
All athletes selected will be funded as follows:
1. Hotel accommodation (on a shared basis) for a maximum of 5 nights,
2. Meals – 3 per day (or a meal stipend),
3. Travel stipend*,
4. Coaching, physiotherapy and bike mechanic support.
Successful coach applicant’s accommodation with full board will be covered and provided with the Team. No travel stipend available for coach applicant.
*PLEASE NOTE: A travel stipend between 250 USD and 750 USD will be provided to each ASICS World Triathlon Team member per event. Please note ITU is covering maximum 60% of the full flight fare, but not more than 750 USD / ASICS WTT Member / project
The athletes selected will be tracked over the year to determine their progress and feedback sheets/reports will be completed on the ITU Education Hub (https://education.triathlon.org) by the members and the head coach of the respective project after each event.
Please complete relevant application form and forward to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before due dates. Please download the form from.
Please complete relevant application form and forward to email@example.com on or before due dates. Please download the form from here.
Post – Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games
ITU Development will announce further details about available elite athlete development projects scheduled after the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games in conjunction with the 2020 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Edmonton and the 2020 Tongyeong ITU Triathlon World Cup.
For more information on the ASICS World Triathlon Team project, please contact Zita Csovelyak, Senior Manager – ITU Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.